Tag Archives: kangchenjunga

Go up? Go down? Wind is not calming down…

Satellite phone call from Benoit Monday pm: The team is now well established in camp 3 on 7100m altitude. Jean-Marc, who didn’t fancy too much the development of the situation, went back down to base camp in the afternoon. As for the others in camp 3, they are in great shape but concerned about the […]
Posted in Expedition | Also tagged , | Comments closed

Moving up to camp 3

Satellite phone call from Alexia Sunday pm: After having spent two rest days at camp 2, tomorrow, the whole team is moving up to camp 3, 7200 m. As always, the weather reports gets more and more precise the closer you get to the summit attempt and they are analyzing the weather, changing dates if […]
Posted in Expedition | Also tagged , | Comments closed

Weather window has moved: 18-19 May

Above C2. © Ludovic Challeat Satellite phone call from Ludo Saturday pm: As planned, the whole team is now gathered in Camp 2, 6400 m, for some rest before going higher. The weather window has moved a little since the last report and we will have to stay a longer period in the high camps […]
Posted in Expedition | Also tagged , | Comments closed

Report from camp 2

Today Alexia called to France and I, Anna, am translating from Expes.com (en français): [ what Philippe call camp 2, Expes.com call camp 1 ] A part of the team left camp base this morning to go directly up to camp 2. Tomorrow they will have a rest day while the rest of the team […]
Posted in Expedition | Also tagged , | Comments closed

We go!

The Russians team left BC this morning for their summit bid. We are all now ready to go. The weather window is confirmed and we plan to summit the night of the 16-17th. We’ll leave tomorrow morning straight for the camp 2 where we will spend 2 nights. Then move to camp 3 on the […]
Posted in Expedition | Also tagged , | Comments closed

Melting cheese with white wine, potatoes, real bread… and summit 16–17 May?

Today was supposed to be the second day of bad weather but finally it was not so bad. Like almost every day since we arrived, the mornings are very sunny, then the clouds cover the sky around lunch time and it snows a couple of cm during the night. It’s also getting warmer every day […]
Posted in Expedition | Also tagged , | Comments closed

Nice photos of the higher camps on Expes.com

Philippe Gatta in base camp. © Ludovic Challeat For more images, visit Expes.com’s blog. They posted many nice photos today! More information on Kangchenjunga expedition Plus d’informations sur ExpĂ©dition au Kangchenjunga
Posted in Expedition | Also tagged , | Comments closed

Weather window May 12-15?

Alexia, Ludo, Gorgan and Ben came back from Ramche so we are now all in BC. It’s the same for all teams, everybody is at BC waiting for a good weather windows for the summit push. It seems that there is perhaps a window May 12-15. So we have to decide quickly. Finally it snowed […]
Posted in Expedition | Also tagged , | Comments closed

The waiting game continues

Kangchenjunga seen from a hill above Ramche. Photo: Philippe Gatta The waiting game continues. I guess only a few people are still high up in the mountain. Almost everyone is back down at base camp, either recovering from the previous climb or waiting for a good weather window for the summit push. Regine, Cedric and […]
Posted in Expedition | Also tagged , | Comments closed

Update from base camp

At 8am we had our radio call with Regine, Cedric and Pemba who were at the C3 (7200m). They had a bad night; cold (-20°C in the tent with 4 people) and very windy. As forecasted, a strong wind has blown all night long and is still blowing. From the base camp we can see […]
Posted in Expedition | Also tagged , | Comments closed

    Instagram     YouTube     RSS